Manchester United are closing in on concluding their first bit of business this transfer window, with £40m rated box to box midfielder Donny van de Beek reportedly agreeing personal terms with the club.
It has been a lean transfer window for United so far, as they watch rival clubs consolidate with some strategic buys in a market that has been affected by Covid-19.
With a move to Old Trafford pending, the 23-year-old missed Ajax Amsterdam’s friendly match against Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
According to Sport, Van de Beek already revealed to Ajax teammates that he would be completing a move to Man United soon.
Ajax Chief Executive Edwin van de Sar in May confirmed midfielder van de Beek would be allowed to leave the club this transfer window but only for a suitable fee.
“Last year, we made verbal agreements with [Andre] Onana, [Nicolas] Tagliafico and Van de Beek to stay another season, and then we look to help each other and find the next step in their careers. Nothing has changed,” said Van der Sar.
He however, emphasized that Van De Beek and others would not be sold at a reduced asking price.
The midfielder was a key part of Ajax’s fairytale run in the Champions League during the 2018/19 season.
“Of course, the 150m-200m euros transfers are gone. But I think there is still a lot of value for players who come from Ajax. Well educated, experienced in winning and playing European football,” Van de Sar said.
The Dutch midfielder, who has an eye for goal, is thought to be the ideal foil for Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandez, as the Old Trafford side tries to finally solve its long-standing problems in the centre of the park.